Blink, and Accessibility (what I learnt so far) was Re: [LUG] website testing

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Passed on comments, he said thanks, just to mention it's his first site
> using notepad,  and psp for the images,  what did u mean by the <blink>
> <marquee tags> good or bad.

Not really my field, Nick Kew is the expert around here, but you might
have to pay him, sandals, and beard shampoo don't grow on trees, but I
think the purists objected to "BLINK" because it says how to render
something, rather than indicating the significance/type of information
presented.

Hence tags that instruct the browser to "emphasise" the text, allowing
different forms of emphasis on different platforms. But I'm not sure
braille readers would handle blink or marquee, or say speech converters.

That said if it made the standard, someone will have had to decide how
it is rendered.

 Simon, who had to change his terminal settings, because he can't read
Lynx's blue text on a black background this week, now where is Lynx's
colour settings, the manual tells me how to switch colour off.

PS: I've joined the Blind Linux list to learn more on these issues, and
I did like this quote from the FAQ.

"The best output a blind person
using WYSIWYG software can hope for
is getting no output at all."
- --anonymous geek

So far the main thing I've learnt is that most people with visual
impairment use mainstream web browsers, and software, with various
accessibility aids. I'd assumed Lynx would be favoured (it is more
widely used but not much), not least all those sites with deliberately
small text - don't you just hate it when people send you HTML email with
small text?

Linux is well supported for people with braille, but for less dramatic
impairment consistency of graphical user interface is a key issue. Also
for other disabilities keyboard only and mouse only control helps then
navigate apps.

Correct mark-up is crucial to websites, to make the various tools work,
both for the visually impaired and those using unusual access methods.
One of the compelling examples on the RNIB website is a car that has a
hands free, eyes free, web browser, not designed for the blind but for
the motorist. Not least accessible information is the LAW, so broken
mark-up may be a crime, like many of us thought it was.

RNIB recommend 14 point characters, with 12 as an absolute minimum, so
fix the defaults in your Word Processors, big is beautiful.