Re: [LUG] New Website

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:31:20AM +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
> Dear All
>
> Thanks for recent advice re search engines. I have just completed first
> web site using CSS and.... well this is where I would like you guys to
> tell me. What do you think? How can I improve it? The address is:
>
> www.samc.org.uk
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Rich

Hi Rich,

Some points for you:

Your first line should be a document type declaration.
For example, for HTML 4.01 Strict documents, <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>

Line35: The "p" tag is contained in a "p" tag that was opened in line 32. This is against the HTML specification and may cause problems with some browsers.

Line41: The closing tag for "p" was found, but the tag was never opened, has been closed too many times, or cannot have an end tag.

Regarding the CSS code:

<h3> contains a font-decoration - This doesn't fit in a Header definition

a:hover and a:active are also not supported by Netscape4

Lastly: I would consider a more conventional hyperlink format, such as underlining.  Use the hover attributes to change the colour of the link if so desired.

HTH

Regards
Steve