[LUG] evolution configuration

I am having a problem with setting up blueyonders smtp server to accept email
from evolution.

It's not so much a problem with evolution itself so much I think but the erro
message is that the server doesn't accept authentication type of plain.

The problem is it should.
Kmail is set up the same way. No encryption. Authentication type plain is
ticked. checking what the server supports blanks everything out but then
nothing gets through on either cliient.
I have no problems sending from the command line or through pine either, not
with reveiving mail so it's not my ID nor the password.

This is bugging me as I haven't had the problem before. Yesterday I was using
evolution just fine on an older version of suse with the same settings.

I have removed the account and then tried setting up again and removed the
whole config from the user directory and starting from scratch but still the
same.

Again Kmail works fin with the SAME settings.

any pointers please ? No suggestions that if kmail is working just to use that
instead.

Thanks.

Ray