[LUG] disk read / write in Linux

How does Linux handle disk read / write access compared to windows, I ask
because I have just been having problems with windows copying files from my
camera, it got to file 71 and stopped and as usual hung,  it predicted 2
minutes transfer time for around 50mb of data,  however doing the same
operation in Linux worked first time of course, it managed to transfer the
offending file 71 with no problem,  and copy to the windows partition with
no problems this seems to indicate that Linux handles this differently,
better goes without saying.

Just wondered how it does it

Paul