[LUG] Serious threat to Commercial Linux?

This will put a lot of commercial users off wether or not it is true.
Comments please

-------- Original Message --------
From: - Wed May 21 10:29:38 2003
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 12:16:06 +0100 (BST)
From: Access Master <bill@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)

Dear Access Master,

RE: "SCO Suspends Linux Activities"

The following problems have been found with the mail
which was sent by TeamSCO@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

 Not sent to recipient 'sales' because:

** Address does not exist on this system

The offending message is attached.

Best Regards,

Mail Delivery Subsystem (at inty.ylem.co.uk)

***** YLEM DISCLAIMER  *****

To obtain a copy of Ylem's email disclaimer ring 01398 323146
intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)
--- Begin Message ---
Dear SCO Partner,

As a SCO Partner, we thank you for your support and continued business.
Because you are a valued partner, it is important that we make you aware
of important SCO business decisions and announcements as soon as possible.
As such, we wanted to make you aware of an important announcement made
yesterday.

This communication is about recent efforts SCO has made to license and
protect our patents, copyrights and intellectual property pertaining to
the UNIX(r) operating system.  As you know, on March 7, 2003 SCO
announced that it filed legal action against IBM in the State Court of Utah,
for misappropriation of trade secrets, tortuous interference, unfair
competition and breach of contract. The complaint alleged that IBM made
concentrated efforts to improperly destroy the economic value of UNIX,
particularly UNIX on Intel, to benefit IBM's new Linux services business.

As we have progressed in our discovery related to this action, SCO has
found compelling evidence that the Linux operating system contains
unauthorized SCO UNIX intellectual property (IP).  Due to this discovery,
we are taking three immediate courses of action.

1 - The first is to send a letter alerting commercial users to the fact that
legal liability for the use of Linux by businesses may extend to end
users. Customers should start receiving this letter today. For your
information, a copy of this letter may be found at:
http://www.sco.com/scosource/letter_to_linux_customers.html

2 - The second action we are taking is to suspend all future sales of the
Linux operating system from SCO until the attendant risks with Linux are
better understood and properly resolved.

3 - Finally, although this action affects future development and sales of
SCO's Linux offerings, SCO will continue to support our SCO Linux and
OpenLinux customers and partners who have previously implemented those
products and we will hold them harmless from any SCO intellectual
property issues regarding Linux. SCO will continue to honor all contractual
obligations with existing customers including product updates, service,
and support.

As many of you are already aware, SCO UNIX systems continue to sell well
- including an increase in OpenServer sales over the previous quarter. Our
UNIX products continue to support many of the world's largest businesses.
In addition, new customer sales indicate that there is still no better option
for rock-solid, dependable technology for their core businesses than our
SCO UNIX solutions.

We are excited to be building on our SCO UNIX history as we roll out our
next generation UNIX operating system and SCOx framework this fall. SCOx
will allow small and medium business customers and branch offices to plug
their existing applications into a Web services environment. Details of
this strategy will be unveiled at SCO Forum in Las Vegas, Nevada,
August 17-19.
(For more details, see: http://www.sco.com/2003forum)

SCO remains committed to building new business opportunities for our
partners such as you. We recognize that you have depended on us to
provide reliable, solid technologies for your customers for over twenty
years. We look forward to helping you and your customers meet your
business needs for the next twenty years.

Sincerely,

Darl McBride
President and CEO
The SCO Group

This message was sent by The SCO Group using Responsys Interact (TM).

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail from The SCO Group:
    http://sco.rsc01.net/servlet/optout?JHsKLkHDYYYWWElHsLlFRsLtDJhDNrE0

To view our permission marketing policy:
    http://www.rsvp0.net

intY has scanned this email for all known viruses (www.inty.com)

--- End Message ---

Lynx friendly