Re: [LUG]

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 10:15, Ray Smith wrote:

> according to the man page a setting of -k should keep messages on the
> server.
>
> I want to do this because I don't want to download messages into pine that
> might contain attatchments.
> I check these seperatlly I use a different client. I am running an icon in
> gnome to alert me in gnome that indicate me when mail arrives
> checking /var/spool/mail/"homedir"
>
> problem is if I add the -k option to the fetcmail rc file along
>
> poll 'server' -k 'user' ####### 'pass' ####
>
> I get a 'parse error' unknow option for the -k switch. Checking the option
> gives this at the switch for keeping messages on the sever.
>
> I use to check manually and seem to remeber that this was the way I used it
> before but it was some time ago & I have used evolution sinced.
>
>From a quick scan of the man page it looks like you want the keyword
keep in the fetchmailrc file rather than the -k swtich

Is the other client you use on the same machine? - if so you could
download it all and  then point that client at the local mail file -
Evolution does this fine (and I'd be very surprised if Kmail doesn't).
You could also consider using mutt - it can handle MIME attachments
fine.

> Also how do I shut the daemon down before logging out ? Can't see the
> reference in the man page. Wood for the trees perhaps ?
if you using bash:

fetchmail -d --quit

in .bash_logout

Paul M