Re: [LUG] Debian

On Friday 09 May 2003 18:33, jon wrote:
> Well it's not the same card (it's a CNet CNF401), but it's a similar
> problem.  Trouble is, seeing as it Just Worked with Mandrake 9.1,
> it's tempting not to spend lots of time trying to get it to work on
> Debian!

Did you say you were using pcmcia-cs to make it work? As far as I can see from
the list on the pcmcia-cs page [
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS ] that card isn't
supported. If you're not then it's a different matter :o)

Have you looked to see what modules MDK9.1 is using to make it work (lsmod)?
This is highly likely to provide you with the information needed to recompile
your Debian kernel correctly (ie mine told me I needed the 8139too and
yenta_socket modules for for the TRENDnet)

> However, I will have a nose in the pcmcia config file on my Mandrake
> install when I get home tommorow - maybe I could just copy and paste
> the relevant section (or the whole file?) into a Debian (stable)
> install, assuming it uses a driver that exists in the standard
> Debian install.

I'm not convinced copy + pasting the config file across will do much good.
However I don't really know anything about how Debian and MDK handle pcmcia
stuff so I'm not qulified to comment, although I would imagine they do thigns
fairly differently. Reading back to your previous comments it sounds more
like you have either missing drivers or your config is pointing at the wrong
ones, again an lsmod under MDK should help with identifying this.

I think the biggest problem I had with this was coming to the realisation that
a pcmcia card doesn't need a pcmcia specific module/driver but rather it
often needs a pci module/driver and a pcmcia-pci bridge.

> PS: Like the front page of your site, Radiohead *ROCK* ;-)

Radiohead are indeed brilliant. Although I'm regretting posting links to that
site now, I've seen people on here rip apart such things before and that's
horribly coded (although it's only broken on IE so that's not really
important).

Dan

--

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

	-- Salvor Hardin