Re: [LUG] Simultaneous Gnome and KDE Desktops?

Keith Abraham wrote:

	While using KDE I idly clicked on Gdict, which crashed,
	and up popped the Gnome panel covering the KDE panel.
	Now I have the KDE and Gnome panels simultaneously
	on KDE!!
	Logging in and out merely brings up the combined desktops.

	Any ideas how to remove the Gnome panels (apart from
	hiding them) so I log into KDE only?

Keith

Hi Keith

I have had the same problem, but I'm running SuSE 8.1, upgraded with KDE 3.1 (from Linux Format Apr03), together with one or two other patches including the latest nVidia drivers, but nothing added to the standard Gnome as supplied. I generally only use KDE, so this problem has become a real pain.
It always happens if I try to run a Gnome based file manager e.g. SuSE>System>filesystem tools>Home Folder.

The screen flashes, Nautilus fires up, then the KDE kicker, panel etc stay visible and the Gnome desktop appears above it, with its own icons and background.

The only solution (first time it happened) I have found is the desperate deletion of the .kde dir in my home directory, log off and on again, then recreating my customisations etc. I save a (good) copy of .kde to copy back just in case now.

Anybody got other ideas for a permanent solution?

Mike B