Re: [LUG] Comments on Opensource solution providers

Perhaps reading /migration.html

the final stage (5) and conclusion explain our ideas on this

Rick

Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Thursday 01 May 2003 13:40, you wrote:

The website needs some work. I see you've probably done it
under Windows.

It isn't bad. Fit for purpose, except some of the spelling and needs a bit more adding to it.

I was thinking it would be a good idea to draw up a some sort
of code of conduct for Linux solution providers.

Good idea.

The main problem with software solution providers is that they
try lock the customer into their solution. With opensource
based solutions this can be different, but it needs a little
work still on documentation standards.

Anyway a code of conduct of some sort laying down some
guidelines for such practises would be something at least I
would like to see. Anyone heard or seen of one already?

This 'code of conduct' (better name required) basically would
allow competition. Those who see this as a bad thing are in
trouble. This is what capitalism is about, and it should be
promoted, and I am sure customers will also see this as an
attractive quality.

Accountants and doctors, and I expect other professions, have rules about passing on the client's records, and documenting in such a way that it is reasonable for them to move from one member o the profession to another.

If software and support providers want to be engineers, then this would be a very good thing to add.

If it hasn't been enunciated/done before, then it might actually make a nice story for Newsforge/Slashdot etc.