Re: [LUG] knoppix

Quoting Mark Evans <mpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I'm not sure there is much need to. It's a lot harder to do damage to
> a Linux machine by being able to run arbitary programs than is the
> case with Windows.

I can't help but comment on this one.  A system is as secure as its
administrator makes it.  Quite a bit of damage can be done by allowing a user
to run whatever they want.

Fork Bombing
Resource Hogging
Kernel Compromises

The list is near endless.  Just because a lot of administrators don't know how
to secure windows, it doesn't mean it can?t be secured.  A user with local
access to a Linux system is able to launch many attacks against a Linux system,
and making the life for an attacker as hard as possible should be a step that
every administrator should take.

--
Ian P. Christian :: pookey at pookey.co.uk :: http://pookey.co.uk
Pengus Hosting Solutions