Re: [LUG] We got the CD burner working...

But only after completely backing up and reinstalling the entire system! :-(

For some reason, even though we changed lilo.conf and fstab to reflect the changes, swapping the IDE channels completely loused the system - it would get as far as looking for the root partition which, for some unknown reason it still thought was hdc6, and then kernel panic. Swapping them back didn't work either!

Odd !

We managed to boot the rescue system from the Mandrake CD but as vi was the only text editor available, and we hadn't got a chance in hell of working out how to use it, we couldn't really change any config (although admittedly the fstab looked fine anyway). They really ought to design fool-proof rescue disks; after all, it's far more likely to be a fool who's reduced to using one!

Lets face it.. all that will happen is a better breed of fool will be made... "Oh.. you didn't tell me i had to put the recovery disk in to recover the system..." heh...

We tried to reinstall Mandrake on the existing ext3 partition, but it told us there were errors, it fscked it, then told us it couldn't fix it.

Ooohh... fsck.. thats can't be good..

Anyway after backing practically all the data minus a few WAVs (on an 80Gb drive!) onto CDs using windows, reformatting (with seperate / and /home partitions this time), reinstalling, and restoring all of the data, we finally are back to where we started - but with a working CD burner. 8-)

Which was rather a lot of incovenience for such a small change, really!

Well you got it back up and working.. thats the main thing... but hell..

thats a nasty way about getting everything working again...

Never mind

Hope all goes well

Neil