[LUG] My server's still <defunct>

I'm sure the defunct processes don't in themselves present a problem, but the
system load is variable but often around 6, Apache is still being unreliable
and spitting this error out in the httpd/errors log:

"Ouch!  malloc failed in malloc_block()"

I haven't run out of inodes, there is now 137Mb free on / and I haven't been
led to suspect hack or DoS attacks.  And I can't check the RAM because I
don't have physical access to the machine!

Any other ideas?

Jon