Re: [LUG] XINE v Mandrake 9.0

Hi Neil,

Thanks for that excellent explanation.  However it highlights a gaping
(and IMHO fatal) flaw in the logic of those who deem it illegal.

I'm one of those who usually skips past the copyright part so I can just
watch the movie.  However this time I thought I would take a detailed
look at exactly what it allows:

"The copyright proprietor has licensed this DVD (including its'
soundtrack) for private home use only.  All other rights reserved.

The definition of home use excludes the use of this DVD at locations
such as clubs, coaches, hospitals, hotels, oil rigs, prisons and
schools.  Any unauthorised copying, editing, exhibition, renting,
exchanging, hiring, lending, public performance diffusion and/or
broadcast of this DVD, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited and
any such action establishes liability for a civil action and may give
rise to a criminal prosecution.

This DVD is not to be exported, distributed and/or sold by way of trade
outside the EU without a proper license from [copyright proprietor]."

To me that first sentence says it all.  The copyright proprietor HAS
LICENSED this DVD for PRIVATE HOME USE only.

Nothing anywhere about "You must have paid for the DVD player".  I'm
using it at home (in my bedroom in fact which hardly constitutes public
performance - even on a good day <LOL>).  Therefore I am acting as
specified by the copyright proprietors themselves and yet that is
illegal?

I'm betting a test case in court would slaughter the lack of logic this
law seems to be bending.

Kind regards,

Julian

PS I tried running PowerDVD via WINE.  No joy, but I'm going to play a
hunch and I'll let you know how it works.  BTW it's a licensed version
of PowerDVD that I *bought* :)