Re: [LUG] XINE v Mandrake 9.0

	Have you done "xine-check" from a console? If not it might
	give you some pointers

	On my system xine-check gave:-

Please be patient, this script may take a while to run...
[ good ] you're using Linux, doing specific tests
[ good ] looks like you have a /proc filesystem mounted.
[ good ] You seem to have a reasonable kernel version (2.4.18-4GB)
[ good ] intel compatible processor, checking MTRR support
[ good ] you have MTRR support and there are some ranges set.
[ good ] found the player at /usr/bin/xine
[ good ] /usr/bin/xine is in your PATH
[ good ] found /usr/bin/xine-config in your PATH
[ good ] plugin directory /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0 exists.
[ good ] found input plugins
[ good ] found demux plugins
[ good ] found decoder plugins
[ good ] found video_out plugins
[ good ] found audio_out plugins
[ good ] /dev/cdrom points to /dev/hdc
[ good ] /dev/dvd points to /dev/hdc
[ good ] DMA is enabled for your DVD drive
[ good ] found xvinfo: X-Video Extension version 2.2
[ good ] your Xv extension supports YUV overlays (improves MPEG performance)
[ good ] your Xv extension supports packed YUV overlays
[ good ] Xv ports:  YUY2 YV12 UYVY I420 YUY2 YV12 UYVY I420

	Not much help I know but it might shed some light.

	As a long shot try reinstalling the dvdcss bits.

	Xine-lib-d4d or xine-lib-d5d is also needed for encrypted
	movies.

	I see from my logbook that someone recommended
	I installed the udf package, which I did.
	It was some time ago I did all this and it's not clear why
	udf was necessary.
	Memo to self: I must keep a clearer log book!!

	As a last resort ditch Xine and install Ogle, A lot of
	people seem to like it.

Keith

On Friday 18 Apr 2003 4:43 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks for that Andy.
>
> At the moment it "sort of" works if I select "NAV" instead of "DVD" in
> Xine, but it plays part of the way through the film.  If I choose the
> "DVD" button I get the error:
>
>              - xine engine error -
>
>        There is no input plugin available to handle
>                 'dvd://VIDEO_TS.VOB'.
> Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesn't exist.
>
> I've had that consistently ever since trying to install Netscape 7
> (which everyone says is totally unconnected, but I can't get away from
> the fact that this started immediately after installing it, and I don't
> believe in coincidences where PCs are concerned! :O))
>
> Julian
>
> On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 17:29, Andy Weir wrote:
> > On Friday 18 Apr 2003 4:40 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I'm at the "ripping hair out" stage now.
> > >
> > > For the majority of the last two weeks MDK 9.0 has consistently
> > > refused (despite many hard beatings and threats of violence) to play
> > > any DVDs. When I installed them it played them properly.  However
> > > now it refuses every single attempt to correct the problem.
> > >
> > > Logic says that since I installed it from the original MDK ISOs
> > > downloaded from linuxiso.org that *re-installing* it would solve
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Wrong.  It refuses every attempt and I am totally out of any clue
> > > why the hell is won't behave.  I've tried installing all the Xine
> > > and Libdvd files that have been suggested and the system remains
> > > pigheaded and refuses to behave.
> > >
> > > HELP!!! :)
> > >
> > > Julian
> > >

> > > --
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I got xine to work with Mandrake 9.0,
> > by following the instructions here: -
> >
> > http://www.trylinuxsd.com/dvd/
> >
> > I un-installed the Mandrake xine pacages,
> > then re-installed using only the PLF packages
> > (for some reason, the Mandrake and PLF packages don't get on)
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > --
> > Andy Weir
> > Electronics Engineer
> >
> > --

SuSE 8.0 Linux on 1.2GHz AMD Athlon/PCChips 810LMR\nwith 384MB RAM and 20GB
Maxtor HD using KDE's Kmail