[LUG] Red Hat 8.0 GNOME logout & switching

Has anyone else had the following console probs?
Sometimes, when I logout from GNOME, the machine hangs, and a reboot is
required.  On Compaq, the keyboard lights flash.
This is intermittent, and across an number of (similar) machines.
May be connected with this, switching to a character session (ALT-F1/F2/etc)
from a GNOME session will kill the GNOME session, switch to character, then
switch back to the GNOME login.  If the GNOME session is not signed on, or
we already have a character session signed on, we don't get the problem.

RH 7.2 was OK on this h/w.  9.0 does not give the first problem, but still
sometimes gives the second.

Any ideas?

Clive