Re: [LUG] Old PCs

Richard Brown wrote:

>And so the journey continues and I am about to embark on a very long leg
>- I am currently setting up and building a Linux network using old 133's
>and 266's with 2 gig HD's and 32/64 meg Ram. Does anyone have a copy of
>a smaller distro that I could get a copy of - something like the Rule
>Linux - or does somebody have any ideas on how to load up Linux on these
>low specs? And if I were to try to upgrade I suppose the best thing I
>could do would be to give them extra Ram - any comments.

It depends on what you want to do with the machines.
If you want a stable command line machine, then I can recommend Redhat 7.2.

If you want Internet machines, then any distro should be OK (but avoid
SuSE as it tends to eat disk space). I've had Xfce
(http://www.xfce.org/) and Opera 5 running fine on an old 50 MHz machine.

Or, you could even cluster them ;-)

David.

--
Running Windows on a Pentium is like having a brand new Porsche but only being able to drive backwards with the handbrake on.