Re: [LUG] Old PCs

On 14 Apr 2003, Julian Hall wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm also interested in running Linux on a low spec PC.. 486 laptop /w
> 16Mb RAM is the lowest spec.  A lot of people have said "Linux runs
> happily on low spec PCs" but what I am now coming to realise is they
> meant "Linux runs happily in COMMAND LINE on low spec PCs".

I've had installed a cut down version of Redhat on a 486DX2 with 8megs of
ram.  Tight job it was, but it worked, but no X-Windows, as it was a
router box, to repalces Windows internet connection sharing.

> Could anyone suggest the best (smallest) Window Manager to run, say
> Vector or Peanut Linux using XFree? KDE seems a tad overkill and Gnome
> is not a whole heck of a lot better :)

Look at blackbox - very small memory/hard disc footprint, works a treat on
my old P120 24Megs laptop.

Pete Hatton
E-mail:  pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Webpage: http://www.monolight.org