Re: [LUG] C code for MySQL beginner.

On Thursday 10 April 2003 3:28 pm, Andrew Rogers wrote:
> I'm looking for a very short MySQL example written in C and using the
> MySQL C API and mysql.h include file. I have started learning MySQL this

This can't be too far from the mark:
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/index.html#libmysqld_example

This example program and makefile should work without any changes on a Linux
or FreeBSD system. For other operating systems, minor changes will be needed.
This example is designed to give enough details to understand the problem,
without the clutter that is a necessary part of a real application.

To try out the example, create an `test_libmysqld' directory at the same level
as the mysql-4.0 source directory. Save the `test_libmysqld.c' source and the
`GNUmakefile' in the directory, and run GNU `make' from inside the
`test_libmysqld' directory

Even if you don't compile the example, the only include files are:
#include <mysql.h>
#include <stdarg.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

and uses very simple prototypes:
MYSQL *db_connect(const char *dbname);
void db_disconnect(MYSQL *db);
void db_do_query(MYSQL *db, const char *query);

That's about as close to Perl as I've seen C ever get! Even PHP uses the same
basic functions.

The rest of the FAQ deals with the details of the function calls in the usual
manual-babble way.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/