RE: [LUG] Do other LUG Members find X a pain to configure ?

Maybe it depends what you like to use X for.

Myself, I like to see opengl apps,games and screensavers runnig.
The last version of X that did this perfectly on "my" hardware was version
4.01

since then nothing but lock ups when running 3D until 4.2 which runs
semi-stable depending on distro.

Mandrake 9.0 is ok for a few minutes depending on what is running.
Suse 8.1 about a minute running anything.

Knoppix. Not bad quite some time (3.1)

Xfree 4.3
Lock ups within a few seconds no matter what distro including knoppix 3.2

All is fine if I don't want 3D but I DO !

There seems to be some plans for X developers to move away from an all in
one package.
I would rather that if something works it stays works,otherwise theres not
much point in upgrading.

Debian btw worked but only when I altered the config file from that detected
to similar settings I use with Mandrake 9, then it was ok.
Sometimes autodetection screws up

Ray