Re: [LUG] Do other LUG Members find X a pain to configure ?

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 02:19:38 +0100, Brough, Tom wrote:
> Even to myself it seems a poor show if you need to download source, compile
> your own kernel and additional drivers in order to get a GUI interface. Is
> it just me, or are we complacent people who tell others to go and Read The
> Manual or say "well it works ok on my machine" ? Is there anything we can do

I am surprised you wrote this. This is an absolute FUD to me.

X is configured and running just fine when booting Knoppix or installing
RedHat. I.e. with slick installers.

I get irritated when people say you have to download source and compile.
These are "complicated" tasks, and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO IT.

**** This is what packages are for!!! ****

Suggesting to a user is required to fiddle with the source is not
helpful, and scares people away from Free software.

Regards,
-Kai