Re: [LUG] KDE3.1 improvements

On Tuesday 01 April 2003 9:43 pm, Neil Williams wrote:

> KMail has also improved and is meant to have that MIME thingy that allows
> me to verify attached signatures for messages from people using clients
> like Evolution and Mutt. I notice that it still sends my email inline and
> so far I haven't received a MIME format signed email to test it.

It requires a LOT of work - the download and compilation from source of 6
separate archives with customised prefixes (most of which are not documented
on the website).  This despite having KMail 1.5 and KDE 3.1 installed and the
necessary files for Kgpg pre-installed - these were (as I understood the Kgpg
dependencies) MEANT to be part of the requirements for the MIME capability
but none of the necessary libraries are installed. After finally getting the
libraries to install, it does actually work but it seems a long way from
friendly.

http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html
-rw-------    1 neil     users       682K Apr  3 00:04 libgcrypt-1.1.9.tar.gz
-rw-------    1 neil     users       659K Apr  3 00:10 gpgme-0.3.15.tar.gz
-rw-------    1 neil     users       593K Apr  3 00:09 newpg-0.9.4.tar.gz
-rw-------    1 neil     users       435K Apr  3 00:06 libksba-0.4.7.tar.gz
-rw-------    1 neil     users       313K Apr  3 00:10 pinentry-0.6.8.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--    1 neil     users       213K Apr  2 23:09 cryptplug-0.3.15.tar.gz

Can't be much fun over a dial-up connection.

cd libgcrypt && ./configure && make && make check && su -c "make install"
cd libksba && ./configure && make && make check && su -c "make install"
cd newpg && ./configure && make && make check && su -c "make install"
cd gpgme  && ./configure --without-gpgsm && make && make check && su -c "make
install"
cd cryptplug && ./configure && make && su -c "make install"
cd pinentry && ./configure --disable-pinentry-gtk --disable-pinentry-curses
--disable-fallback-curses && make && su -c "make install"

I actually needed:
for libksba:
./configure --with-libgcrypt-prefix=/usr/local/
for newpg:
./configure --with-libgcrypt-prefix=/usr/local/ --with-ksba-prefix=/usr/local
for gpgme:
./configure --without-gpgsm
for cryptplug:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/lib
for pinentry (in addition to the options above):
./configure --with-gpgme-prefix=/usr/local/

All listed under ./configure --help in each unpacked tarball directory, but
not exactly untuitive.

The instructions at
http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html
are VERY specific too - there is one way to get it to work and whenever I
skipped a bit of just did things the way anyone else experienced in KMail
would do it, it broke. The strangest thing is having to start KMail from a
console to allow configuration to complete. As you will (hopefully) see with
this email though, it can be made to work.

> I'll give Yoper a little more time to live with (I've found a few niggles
> already) and I'll post a review on the site. If others have got advice on

Yoper is not looking good so far - horrendous delays in program launch, and a
seemingly broken bash implentation.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/