Re: [LUG] Wiki online

On Wednesday 26 Mar 2003 6:18 am, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 12:05:23 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > And used it as an advert for your own Wiki!! Cheeky. How about porting
> > some of your more general tips to the DCLUG Wiki? Give people a taster of
> > what can be found on your site.
>
> Hehe. Mine is not a wiki btw. It is FAQ builder. Confused? Yeah, me too.

Appears to work in similar ways - presumably you chose that over a Wiki to
have more control over the final appearance/content?

> Well, I will definitely put some content in an email etiquette page, or
> maybe what not to do in emails. Can you think of the best approach?

For now, I'd say a new page off Reference.

> When I see someone do something daft, I make an entry on the page and
> point them to it.

Nicely mind - don't be too hard on those who may have just joined the LUG!
:-)

> Btw, if someone comes along and edits the page, and deletes all the
> content, you can recover it right?

Ohh yeah. I made sure of that one.
It doesn't have to be done by me though, the versioning is accessible from the
Wiki itself - the Information About Page link. If you notice someone has
crippled a page, roll it back to a previous version. If a page has had all
the content removed, then the procedure is:
Add some dumb content - anything will do, including "Who nabbed my page!"
Save the page
Go to the information about this page link
Click the version number immediately previous to the deletion. (This should be
2 numbers back - the first in the list is the dumb content, the second one
back is the deletion and the third version back is the one you want.)
The page is displayed and a button appears asking if you want to restore this
version. Click it and it's done. Easy.

People with small enough brains to think that such deletions are 'fun' will
soon get bored of having the previous content restored so easily.

It's NOT up to me to do all this - if you write a page and you later notice it
has been corrupted or deleted, YOU restore it. If anyone else notices a
complete deletion, please follow the procedure above and restore the last
decent version.

> -Kai

- --

Neil Williams