Re: [LUG] RE: Mailing list software...

Pete Hatton wrote:

> I'm pretty sure (Alex will correct me very quickly if I'm wrong!) that
> Majordomono can be set so that you can send out announcements, and
> no-one on the list can post to it.

It can, but I like mailman, depends how many lists, but mailman makes it
easy to add lists and delegate responsibility etc.

I use Majordomo for a handful of lists, it works, but it isn't what I'd
call user friendly.

>>B) Discussion forum
>

> Well the LUG list could be considered as a "Discussion forum", but how
> about a full blown BBS system such as phpBB?

NNTP

Beats mailing lists as it is properly threaded, beats web solutions as
it is fast, and people even get their own choice of client.

C) Chat ;-)

I was hacked off by my search for a really lightweight chat system, and
now concur that IRC is probably the best bet...

I was hoping to find something with a decent telnet interface, but
either they weren't as good as I remember or they all evaporated...