Re: [LUG] RE: Mailing list software...

Quoting Pete Hatton:

> > What software is used to control the LUG ? I am considering
> > several options atm, majordomo seems to be a popular choice..
> > We want to have at least 2 different lists of differing type.
>
> The LUG list uses majordomo.  There is also Mailman
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html which is another
> popular choice.

Mailman seems to be the more popular choice for new installations these days,
although one of the reasons I originally chose to use majordomo was that it's
written in perl (albeit perl 4)(which I know) as opposed to mailman which is
written in python (ick, which I don't know).

Also at that point I'd already been admining majordomo listservers for a number
of years so it was the one I was famililar with.

> > A) Announcement style list, we send out news letters.
>
> I'm pretty sure (Alex will correct me very quickly if I'm wrong!) that
> Majordomono can be set so that you can send out announcements, and
> no-one on the list can post to it.

Indeed this is the case, but I'd be suprised if you couldn't do this with any
mailing list manager

> > B) Discussion forum
>
> Well the LUG list could be considered as a "Discussion forum", but how
> about a full blown BBS system such as phpBB?

This is true, I don't see in mailing list terms how you could get anymore
discussion forum like than this list, although the term forum seems to imply
that interweb thingy with its pointy clicky interface (given you don't use lynx
etc, naturally) and (shock, horror) graphics.

To be honest, I'd like to write my own mailing list manager given time and
sufficient motivation.

Alex.