Re: [LUG] Unix file system folder limits

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 01:10:14PM +0000, Alex Charrett wrote:

[ 1 million files ]

> I'm not the world's biggest fan of databases, and have on a couple
> of occasions had long discuissions about why I belive they're
> overkill in certain applications, but this is screaming out for a
> database and some php.

No it's not!

If these files are data files, then there is no reason to put them
into realtional database, since they are clearly a closed relation.

If these files are HTML files, or HTML snippets which follow some
regular format, then they should be data files and translated to HTML
in some way, using a template.

If you're going to put them into anything, put them into a Berkeley DB
file. PHP and Perl will access this just as easy.

No need for a wolloping great RDB here.

Steve