Re: [LUG] Unix file system folder limits

Quoting Robert Nowik:

> Hi,
> I am working on a large website that potentially will have a lot of static
> html files. I need to know if folders in Unix have a limit on the number  of
> files / subfolders that they contain. (I know Windows FAT32 has a limited of
> around 32000 files per folder). I am anticipated having folders with up to
> 1million files in. (I am probably going to run the site on a dedicated redhat
> server).

Googling for ext2 "number of files in a directory" limit, brings up:

http://boudicca.tux.org/mhonarc/ma-linux/2000/2000-Mar/msg00720.html

Which is a very good point.  There may not be any specified limits but this sort
of is a very horrible thing to do to a poor server.  Apart from the sheer
impracticalites of maintaining a site like this, doing an ls in that directory
is going to wallop the server round the head.

I'm not the world's biggest fan of databases, and have on a couple of occasions
had long discuissions about why I belive they're overkill in certain
applications, but this is screaming out for a database and some php.

Alex.