[LUG] X + Consoles

I have recently managed toget my Linux box back working after a nasty disagreement with apt (my fault)

Problem I can't seem to resolve is this;

I am unable to get a cnosole running inside X, multi-gnome-terminal brings up a window and then hangs, unable to close the app, xterm doesn't launch at all (although it doesn't complain !)

The processes look to be active when using "ps" but thats all, I can kill them and re-run them with te same result every time.

Can anyone help me with this annoying problem ?

Thanks Guys

Neil