Re: [LUG] Compiling for Cygwin from Linux.

Simon Waters wrote:

Andrew Rogers wrote:

I need to get some of my command line based programs compiled for
Cygwin. A Windows user who has Cygwin wants to use my program. The
problem is that I do not want to learn how to use Windows or

commit to

the Microsoft EULA and so I can't recompile from the Cygwin

bash prompt.

In theory at least, I should be able to cross compile from my

Linux box.

Has anyone done this? If so, could they point me in the right

direction?

No, but for a simple one off I'm happy to rebuild it on the box
I use for GNU Chess Cygwin builds.

Thank you for your offer. The nature of our research means that we bug-fix and recompile regularly. Thanks anyway.

Could I simply recompile the source for the Cygwin GCC on my

Linux box?

No, GCC cross compilation just requires machine specification
for GCC, however I don't know what you do for cross linker and
cross assembler.

In other words it is relatively "easy" to produce x86 assembler
that will work under Cygwin, but harder to actually produce an
executable.

I found some info, after hours of searching, on cross compiling at

http://www.wxwindows.org/technote/crosscmp.htm
http://www.delorie.com/howto/cygwin/cygwin-cross-howto.html

but I need to get the source code for all the packages mentioned, through a slow modem.

Why not just install Cygwin on your friends PC, he has already
agree to the Microsoft EULA, and the Cygwin software is free,
and you'll be sure to have all the runtime DLL's to hand.

He doesn't want to compile stuff, he only wants to run the executable. There are people that use Cygwin in our small research group but I would like to compile on my Linux box if possible.

Regards
Andrew Rogers