Re: [LUG] PHP Nuke Questions & Answers was Local PHP-Nuke Advocacy

> > 1.3. Back office integration independence
> > Essential
> > Will work with Java and/or .NET frameworks.

> > * Need meaningful URL's without needing to have redirection
> statements to obscure database related page requests.
>
> I'd settle for bookmarkable where appropriate. Meaningful is a
> bit vague.

An  AlertBox on this - "URL as UI"
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990321.html

Meaningful does help, but the most meaningful URLs are from
static sites, databases seem prone to flattening the space the
information is in.

Berners-Lee writes about the importnace of choosing directory
names that if they are meaningful are not so specifically
meaningful that in a year or two you must change them.
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html

Independently, I wrote in the NHS context that it was more
sensible to call something http://primary.exeter.nhs.uk than to
call it after the PCG that it would have served last year, the
PCT this year, the PCO/Trust next year and BUPA the following
one.

> > 4.3. Integrates with Word/other potential "content
> > generation s/w" Essential
> > Capable of importing other document/content formats.
>
> Hmm so we can present content in formats that aren't standard
> conforming, and we expect your software to take it from
> undocumented proprietary formats and convert it into a
> standard conforming ones.

How about pushing for OpenOffice, or StarOffice with support
contract and standardising on RTF for formatted WP documents?

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/