Re: [LUG] PHP Nuke Questions & Answers was Local PHP-Nuke Advocacy

> Here are the questions we are asking proprietary CMS
> suppliers to answer.

Good approach.

> From my brief research work it looks like questions 1.11
> (Compliance with Standards) may be a sticking point.

> 1. General
> 1.1. Platform Independent
> Essential
> Server side: Must be able to run on at least two of the
> following: Windows NT/2000, Linux/Unix,
> AS/400 (can be specific to the platform)

Runs on NT and Linux and Solaris at least.

> 1.2. Database independent
> Essential
> Must be able to run on at least two of the following: MS SQL,
> Oracle. Postgres and mySQL

PHP can run against any ODBC database for instance, so at least
3 of those depending upon platform.
PostNuke I have not checked but expect so.

> 1.3. Back office integration independence
> Essential
> Will work with Java and/or .NET frameworks.

Too technical for me.

> 1.4. Internal staff not required to log on! (Picks up network
> ID automatically)	Desirable

I don't understand that.

> 1.5. Management information: Number of Pages live, pages used
> statistics - by author, contributor, and department. Workflow
> bottlenecks, time to publish. 		Essential
> 	Can use third party tools to assist in this process - please
> list each and what they do.

None of that is _not_ available, whatever anyone else has not
wanted, why would you.

> 1.6. Built in Workflow: Automatic notification of tasks to be
> performed at all role levels
> Essential
> Notification of work to do must produce standard email
> message. Would also expect to see own worklist when inside the
> product.

What tasks envisaged?
One that might be looked for is reminding people to review their
pages at a particular date.
If there isn't a specific function in PHP/Nuke then there is in
Ht:/Dig, where you add a header and the nominated email address
from it is alerted at the given time.

Workflow is quite a broad term, perhaps so that everyone can
answer "yes"?
Isn't part of the use of something like PHP/Nuke to build your
workflow system - add something to someone's todo list and there
it is.

> 1.7. Cost
> Essential
> Explain pricing structure with potential costs for licencing
> and implementation  - This is not a formal quote at this stage
> but does need to include a statement of what is offered for
> the price and any potential additional costs that might be
> incurred.

That is an easy one.
Support and development at costs similar to other software,
ingredients free, cost with scale, free.
I'd add there risk of trouble with FAST or BSA, nil.
Need for compliance checking of licenced - nil.

> 1.8.
> Server Hardware requirements
> Essential
> Not costed: include minimum specifications

A cross between MySQL and Apache and PHP hardware to actions per
second relationships.
There must be some prior art on this.

> 1.9. Supports multi channel delivery (XML based)
> Essential
> Ability to place alternative XSLT processes in front of
> specific delivery channel to ensure single source of content
> can be delivered down multiple channels et DTV, Kiosks,
> alternative "web views"

??

> 1.10. Search Engine
> Essential
> Can be third party tool but costs need to be included. Must
> use both metadata and text content to deliver "intelligent"
> scored searches. Must be able to lookup info on multiple
> sites.

Ht://Dig was designed for that, or use Google in a box.

> A site list can be maintained by "sub-editors" Ensure focus
> remains our site where appropriate

Easy with Ht:/Dig

> 1.11. Compliance with Standards
> Essential
> E-gif, RNIB, E-GMF, W3C, Bobby, SOCITM

RNIB is up to the authors, but no reason not.
E-gif mostly obvious, you need to look at what sort of XML
behaviour is required - local expert...

W3C Bobby yes.

I know what SOCITM is but not what standards they set.

> 2. Document Management
> 2.1. Customisable Metatags per type e.g. news item, image, ...
> Essential
> We can create min 24 tags and we can stipulate if mandatory or
> not and set table lookup values and set default values

I think I've seen sites doing that.

> 2.2. Handles other electronic records and documents
> Essential
> As a minimum the ability to interface with other electronic
> records and documents at some future date.

Good high score on that as a particular feature of FLOSS

> 3. Web content Management
> 3.1. Stored as "flat" files
?????? requires compatibiloity with 2 major databases and uses
flat files?

> Essential
> Three Issues:
> * Speed - Need assurances that H/W and database can perform if
> this is only offered option.
Need some numbers.

> * The ability of external spiders to reference and catalogue
> our pages, which is not always possible with database driven
> sites. - Google overcomes this problem. Not sure about others.
> * Need meaningful URL's without needing to have redirection
> statements to obscure database related page requests.

Ht:/Dig can spider php sites unless they are set not to allow it.
THis is a question about the permanence of URLs, is it not?  PHP
URLS are permamanent, AFAICS, no reason why it shouldn't be OK
for post/Nuke

> 3.2. Multi-level style sheets (a series of XLST processes?)
> Can set global style sheets to work on top of departmental
> style sheets. Essential
> Minimum of two levels needed.

Style not a problem with PHP.  As many as you like.

> 3.3. Can store within Database to ease searching
> Desirable
> Searching must not just rely on metadata. - Acceptable to have
> third party product to do this but costs do need to be part of
> the total project cost.

Ht:/Dig or similar.

> 3.4. Can support "extranet" access to maintain data -
> (Hoteliers, other community organisations)
> Essential

Isn't that network authentication and so on rather than teh CMS

> 3.5. Supports "roll back"
> Essential
> Last batch update per publisher.

Pass

> 3.6. Can pre-define structure tree to enforce strict "menu",
> drill down adherence Essential
> Sub-editors should have options to expand own trees and set
> entry points (manually defined URL's)

Pass

> 3.7. Supports Cross-reference Metadata - alternative lookups
> for search engines and or Mapping to Gov./ Pan Devon
> terminology. Essential

Always a way...

> 3.8. Broken link avoidance
> Essential
> Minimum report only for links contained within specific site -
> Could be third party product but again costs should be
> included. (Useful if can check broken external sites we are
> linked to.)

Plenty of link-checkers

> 4. Digital Asset management
> 4.1. Supports separate image, Video....other digital formats
> library Essential
> Must be possible to index separate electronic objects with own
> metadata.

Pass

> 4.2. FAQ's and knowledge tree?
> Desirable
> Some support to generate these automatically

Pass

> 4.3. Integrates with Word/other potential "content generation
> s/w" Essential
> Capable of importing other document/content formats.

No reason not to be able to.

> 4.4. Supports commissioning content workflow - Public ask for
> information, we assist to find it is not in our web site.
> Workflow item generated to commission work. 		Essential
> Heads of service, editors etc. can use the system to
> commission content creation and task (workflow) individuals to
> carry out the work.

I don't see that as just PHPNuke, you build workflow on it.

> 4.5. Option to publish to multiple locations/sites
> Desirable
>

> 4.6. Documents can be time controlled - Dates to
> cease/Start/Review publication	Essential
>

> 4.7. Supports "remote" editing and sub-editor roles.
> Essential
> Sub Editors can generate own style sheets remotely
>

> 5. Transactional Integration
> 5.1. Supports personal Portal e.g.  6 apps on a page.
> Desirable
>

> 5.2. Personalised content alerts (tell me when this page
> changes) Desirable
>

> 5.3. eForms
> Essential
> No need for vendor involvement for each new form. (Internal
> development team can create forms and handle backend
> integration)
>

> 5.4. eCommerce
> Desirable
> Ability to reference our product catalogue e.g. Tourist Board
> sales, wheel chairs, other direct sales option e.g. skip hire,
> dustbins, compost bins.
>
> Information in this message is confidential and may be legally
> privileged. It is the intended solely for the person ( or
> persons) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify the sender, and please delete the
> message from your system immediately. The views in this
> message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay
> Council
>

> --

From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/