Mature products was Re: [LUG] support linux

Reflecting on the original article, end of formal support is
(almost) inevitable part of using older software or hardware.

Since Redhat was quite small early on it will have a small
support revenue from older versions, and little financial
incentive to provide ongoing support.

In HP speak the products first become "mature", which is a nice
way of saying they aren't spending more than absolutely
necessary on them.

I think that the free software community has proved the long
life of major products, and projects. However even within
products major revisions can be just as disruptive, think MS
Word upgrade....

However where the vendor provides relatively painless migration
paths at reasonable cost (or in this case no cost!), which
Redhat have done for core OS facilities I think there is little
point in complaining.

Indeed I have migrated the box I'm typing on very painlessly
through several revisions of Redhat, and the upgrade procedure
coped better than my expectations (Built on HP-UX, and MS
Windows, and SUNOS upgrades).

Sure I appreciate more than most the pain of continual
migration, but until computing is placed on firmer foundations
it is an inevitable part of treading on moving sand.

Even Oracle rapidly drop support quick for revisions where they
know they goofed, as incentive to migrate off. HP-UX 10.30 anyone?

The article refers to Internet security, but it is precisely
boxes that are more exposed that should be expected to migrate
to new patches within a few weeks, in the end this means bigger
maintenance bills for such systems. The SQL Slammer virus
demonstrated that this is just not happening, amongst other things.

Part of the benefit of layered security is it buys you time to
upgrade backend systems in a more planned fashion. I suggest
asking those who complain loudest why their pain is so great and
learn from the answers what not to do.

That a market might arise in security patches for old versions
is an interesting development for maintenance programmers, but I
doubt many businesses will be keen to leap into such unchartered
waters. Those that are may already have gone Debian.

Don't like the Linux support terms and conditions your distro
vendor offers - shop around - you have a choice!