Re: [LUG] Line noise vs broadband

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 10:29 pm, Mark Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 09:05:52PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 5:16 pm, paul sutton wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Who do I e-mail about line noise as I seem to be suffering the same
> > > problem my line keeps dropping and I have to reboot windows so I can
> > > try again,  so it's possible its the same cause.

This may be some small help:
After many disconnects my ISP suggested I contact BT and
request a gain increase. Went to BT's site, selected
Report a Fault and filled in their email report form. Informed
them I knew it wasn't strictly a fault and related my ISP's
suggestion.

Two days later BT emailed saying the gain increase had been
made and hoped I was happy with the performance.

A line noise test is made on a line before any gain increase.

Haven't had disconnect since.

True they screwed up incoming telephone calls for about a
week (wife's mother wrote to us from Liskeard or we wouldn't
have known!). But a fault call soon solved the problem

And I only rent the line from BT! (Powergen for billing and
Internet access).

Keith
--
SuSE 8.0 Linux on 1.2GHz AMD Athlon/PCChips 810LMR
with 384MB RAM and 20GB Maxtor HD using KDE's Kmail