Re: [LUG] Line noise vs broadband

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 09:05:52PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 Feb 2003 5:16 pm, paul sutton wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Who do I e-mail about line noise as I seem to be suffering the same problem
> > my line keeps dropping and I have to reboot windows so I can try again,  so
> > it's possible its the same cause.
>
> I don't know about email, Paul, what I did was call 150 from my BT landline
> and report a fault. That will at least get BT to test the line. Unless you've

Thing is that the exchange initiated test does not detect the
kind of faults which tend to cause noisy lines. Worst it can
temporarily clear certain faults.

> had problems with VOICE calls, BT won't send out an engineer to test your BT

Helps to have audible noise when to call them.

> socket and I would STRONGLY suggest that you plug your modem directly into
> the BT socket (with no other devices connected) and replicate the problem a

If it's a line box type undo the screws and plug into the socket
underneath.

> few times before calling BT - otherwise they'll blame your extension cable.
>
> On the Windows front - why on earth is Windows crashing on this? What error

It needs an excuse :)