Re: RFC1123 was Re: [LUG] Question for your web servers firewall logs

On Tuesday 11 February 2003 1:17 am, Simon Waters wrote:

> I see much the same thing with a couple of PIX protected mail
> servers, with bounces being rejected.

Yup .. PIX is nasty when it comes to SMTP (and a lot of other thigns, too):

{}
{> You will need to contact your email support team and ask them if they are}
{> using a PIX Firewall, if so, they will need to disable the Mailguard}
{feature and upgrade the IOS.  This should stop the repeated email.}
{> I apologize for the inconvenience.}

We don't run a PIX on our network, but they still use it as an excuse for
sending over 400 of the same email to one of our hosted customers (it turned
out their SMTP server was broken) ...

> Amazing how reliable e-mail is given the wonky implementations
> out there.

The list of bugs in some major SMTP servers is scary.  another big one is IIS
allows '_' in the hostname (although not actually breaking things - unless
using strict syntax checking on HELO/EHLO) which shows how badly these
servers are written, when they allow that to happen.  OK - it is up to the
administrator really, but it should still not allow it. (or is it just me
that writes software to make sure it behaves per RFC's, and check inputted
data?)

i've started making a list of these sorts of thigns at
<http://www.anlx.net/rfc/>, the ammount of these problems I and our support
team have to deal with on a regular occasion, and get asked by other so
called 'engineers' on the remote end why "we're not 'configured' correctly"
is scary, so we just point them there these days and/or use the mail
templates to send to them.

a certian few mail clients are just as bad at SMTP handeling...

another compellign reason to use XML + HTTP(s) for mail transport.  It doesn't
make it less prone to errors, but at least people understand that protocol,
and can't go soooo wrong on posting data to a URL.  or can they? ;p

The best one i heard so far way by a company who will remain annonymous,
saying:

 "Who supports any of the RFC's, anyway?"

;-)

 ~ Theo

- --
Theo Zourzouvillys