Re: [LUG] Redirecting STDOUT to SMTP (solution)

> It seems that "mail" requires "sendmail" which isn't setup on my system

Minor correction: it requires the "sendmail" CLI.

This is a de-facto standard supported by all MTAs worth considering
(i.e. qmail, exim and postfix as well as sendmail itself).

> because a) It's too hard for my little brain, b) I'm using Lotus Domino
> SMTP MTA, c) I don't need it for anything else and d) Lotus/IBM tell me to
> disable it when running Domino.

You disable sendmail as MTA when running any other MTA.  That's not
the same as the CLI.  You'll find lots of things break if you don't
have the CLI.

> My solution was to get hold of a groovy little app called "pushmail"
> (http://pushmail.sourceforge.net) which works like "mail" but doesn't need
> "sendmail" and allows me to specify the SMTP server. So:
>
> df - h | pushmail -d  domain.co.uk -s localhost -e root@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> user@xxxxxxxxxxxx

That looks like a workaround, but shouldn't be necessary.  It probably
sacrifices the robustness of a "real" MTA.

--
Nick Kew