Re: [LUG] Unresolved symbols !

Neil Stone wrote:
> I have downloaded and tried to install alsa (as i had no sound
at all
> through X) Compiles ok, but i get the following error when i
try to
> modprobe...;
>

> snd-sb16.o: unresolved symbol snd_sb16dsp_pcm
> snd-sb16.o: unresolved symbol snd_sbmixer_read
<SNIP>

> Not being a programmer at all, i have no idea what this
means.. or how
> to fix it...

It just means it was looking for some executable code supplying
that routine/entry/whatever, and didn't find it.

In this context that means it didn't find the other alsa modules
(or know where to look for them, or which ones to chose).

> Can anyone help me please ?

Alsa seems particularly painful at this, it maybe as simple as
"depmod -a" if not...

The debian documentation on this got my laptop sound working
(although I must confess I've since broke it again - fiddle
fiddle ;-).

My laptop is on a break, but the documentation (in the alsa
packages) basically walks you though aliasing /dev/dsp and
/dev/mixer to different modules in the alsa module settings
file, then the Debian depmod tools pick this up and include it
in the modules definition (through a symbolic link I believe -
which you might never have known it existed), so it then knows
which modules to load.

IIRC it goes in /etc/alsa/0.9/.... (assuming your using 0.9).

Then once all the modules load without error - no sound as the
volume defaults to OFF - <doh> - and in my case the alsa mixer
didn't like my sound card.

There seems to be a lot of scope for automating this better in
Debian.

I have a request from the maintainer to upgrade to unstable alsa
packages to see if the mixer works - so if you find the file and
alias /dev/dsp and friends and it still doesn't work I should be
an expert by Monday ;-)

The docs might be in the source packages.