[LUG] debian love

Your mailer is not wrapping quoted text properly. Nasty. :/

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:11:37 +0000, Simon Waters wrote:
> It has always done that for me so far (which isn't long
> admittedly but I like playing with lots of little packages so I
> make it work for a living), but I gather sometimes you have to
> give it the right hints in the sources file.

A basic "stable" sources.list should be provided on an initial install.
stable is fine for new users. Once they have read the apt-howto, they
will discover how to get a "bleeding edge" distro by modifying the
sources.list to point to unstable.

> Presumably there are some sets of dependency rules that are
> impossible to satisfy completely - at which point something has
> to give, and presumably the smart thing is not to break
> installed software till someone who really knows what they are
> doing tells apt to (that's what manuals are for - convincing
> machines you have a clue - at least that is what I use them for).

dselect resolves dependency issues satisfactorily for me. Although it is
reknowned for its crappy user interface. just be patient. read its docs,
and you will learn how to use it.

> > OBVIOUSLY I'm doing something wrong here.
> Nah there is a cast of thousands of suspects - mainly Debian
> package maintainers - you're just #1 on the list.

I blame the lusers. The beauty with opensource, if something is broke,
you at least have the option to have a crack at fixing it, by reporting
a bug or even a patch.

nn
-Kai