Moan about companys: WAS Re: [LUG] JOBS off topic but for the benefit of those here looking for work.

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 5:46 pm, psutton scribbled:
> Web designer
>
> HTML, ASP, VBSCRIPT, JAVASCRIPT, ADO, SQL, SQL SERVER 7/2000 ACCESS 97/2000
>
> IIS,  VB MFC, C++ ODBC TCP/IP WINSOCK STARTING SALARY 23K
>
> NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR
>
> ISA SERVER, MS SMALL BUSINESS SERVER, EXCHANGE SERVER, CAT 5 CABLING, WIN
> 2K, OFFICE 2K, KNOWLEDGE OF SQL SERVER

> It seems they could do with some education regarding operating systems and
> software,  open source could probably save them thousands in licence fees.
> But then again I am not here to comment on this.

Indeed. I'll comment then :)

Imagine how much they could pay you if they didnt have to pay the microsoft
tax, heftier servers, increased downtime, etc. etc.? OK, I'm sure that
windows webservers will ahve a place somewhere, but applications are few and
far between, and even then can be half-unix half-microsoft

Is it really some imcompetent at the top that thinks "microsoft == good", or
"expensive == good". Looking at http://www.unitedsystems.co.uk/, it doesnt
seem the most extensive site on earth. Unless they have a massive intranet
with Exchange intergration?

My only experience in the buisness world has been at tiny companies with no
website, or just a few frontpage-type pages on a £10/month host. Are the
number of legitimate uses for IIS, access databases, etc much higher in the
real world then I seem to believe?