Re: [LUG] problem starting kde with separate /tmp partition - SOLVED

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:25:26 +0000, dave morgan
<morgad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 20:42:32 +0000, Neil Stone <Neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>wrote:

>>dave morgan wrote:

>>> Tried this, no difference at all !
>>> any ideas where to look for error logs ?
>>>
>>> I am assuming having separate /tmp partition
>>> directly mounted is legal !
>>
>>Yes, thats what i have now... The only solution i found was to re run
>>the configuration for X, I have no idea what caused the problem and why
>>clearing out my /tmp broke X but.. hey I found a work around !
>>
>>Neil
>

>Neil,
>
>after some digging it could be a permissions problem:
>
>the normal /tmp is     drwxrwxrwt
>my mounted attempt is  drwxr-xr-t
>
>any ideas how to get mount permissions right ?

[snip]

turned out to be very simple

I just did a

#chmod 1777 /tmp

once the partition was mounted
and after the reboot every thing now works fine !

thanks to all for the help and inspiration

best regards
dave morgan
--
http://www.eclipse.co.uk/morgad/index.html