Re: [LUG] problem starting kde with separate /tmp partition

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:35:32 -0000, "Jon Still" <jon-pop@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Yes, thats what i have now... The only solution i found was to re run
>> the configuration for X, I have no idea what caused the problem and why
>> clearing out my /tmp broke X but.. hey I found a work around !
>
>You will probably find that X has some named pipes or UNIX domain sockets
>stored in /tmp that are used for communication with the X server.  Given
>that someone mentioned they had this problem with Gnome, and you've had it
>with KDE, I presume it's an X problem...
>
>Jon.

thanks to everyone for the ideas

a dpgk-reconfigure of my xserver was not enough to
cure the problem. /tmp is wiped automatically by the
debian boot scripts anyway. i have also (as
suggested by Neil) copied the existing /tmp
across before the reboot (in single user mode)

no solutions have yet worked

will probably use the partition for something
else, as the existing setup was working anyway

best regards
dave morgan

--
http://www.eclipse.co.uk/morgad/index.html