Re: [LUG] Computer recomendations

In the context of the original message (friend who wants a PC setup for
their kids), Alex does have a point.

As long as there's some training/mentoring for the Linux setup then there
shouldn't be a problem in the long term. If Windows is all they're trained
on, then there will be a problem (show me a kid who just as a
English/Japanese phrase book and can speak Japanese as well as a NZ kid).

I my experience (as a father and as a part-time primary school IT tutor),
most kids just want to be able to handle a GUI (File/Save,
File/Open/Print) - as long as that works, they're happy.

My 5yr old uses Windows on his PC, mainly so I don't have to do battle
with the OS every time he gets a new game. Once he starts doing serious
homework and maybe gets interested in programming, then I'll migrate
him...

Mart

>>What a load of rubbish !!
>>Kids will pick up both easily and we will then not have a monopply
system. It has been proved in New Zealand that kids brought up speaking
japanese and english learn both just as well. Surely >>using slightly
different interfaces will not phase them.
>>from bill@xxxxxxxx

Alex Stanley wrote:
Much as I don't want to start an argument, I don't think that having a
dual boot pc for kids of such a young age is necessarily a good idea.

I appreciate that this is a Linux User Group and that promotion of Linux
is a good and necessary thing, but you have to consider the kids in this
instance - if they are using Windows at school and then they come home
to be presented with a  Lilo or Grub prompt, a Windows interface AND an
Xwindows interface, they're just going to get confused - I can imagine
them saying "it doesn't look like this in school" and losing interest
altogether.

Interesting them in Linux is good, but not when one's in Year 5 and
one's in Year 2...

Just my own opinion :)

Alex.