Re: [LUG] Computer recomendations

On Monday 13 January 2003 6:20 pm, Alex Stanley scribbled:
> instance - if they are using Windows at school and then they come home
> to be presented with a  Lilo or Grub prompt, a Windows interface AND an
> Xwindows interface, they're just going to get confused - I can imagine

Well, set lilo to boot to windows automagically after 5 seconds or something.
The BIOS POST screen wont be the same as school either.

Then introduce them to linux as and when you feel is appropiate. When I was
about 9 or 10 I learnt railroad tycoon from watching my dad and brother play
it on a CGA laptop. Then occasionally my dad would bring a 286 with VGA
graphics home and play civ at the weekend - I learnt that, that way, too.

Evenrually when they got a 486 to replace the 286, I knew enough about dos
from (guess what - watching my dad) to get arround. Add the incentive of
being able to word process my essays (this was when I was 11 or 12, but kids
are older now-a-days) and I soon got to grips with many things dos-based.

Let them use windows by default, then when you use the computer, use linux.
They'll soon ask if they are in the least bit interested