Re: [LUG] Good banks (was Bad banks)

On Thursday 09 Jan 2003 2:08 pm, Paul Weaver wrote:
> >===== Original Message From Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
> >I can't believe it. I spend several hours getting my parents jacked up
> >with Linux, and my Dad uses Halifix onlne banking, so I load this URL up
> >in Mozilla:
> >http://www.halifax-online.co.uk/

I'm convinced that the problem is NOT with Halifax.

I've been using Halifax online since Mandrake 7.0 in all manner of Linux and
Windows browsers. All work for the entire site. Konqueror (slow), Galeon,
Mozilla (favourite - from the initial Netscape6 release to Mozilla 1 with
Mandrake9), Opera, Netscape6, even Netscape4 (v.v.v.ugly).

> >And it responds saying "No Cookies". Mozilla is accepting cookies. It
> >continues to use HORRIBLE popups and javascript in order to somehow
> >reach the feedback form.

I've spoken to Halifax recently about the login procedure and they are
re-designing parts of the site to increase ease of use and access.

I know the feedback form is a pain, but the actual login procedure, account
viewing, payment forms and debit pages ALL work within the one original
window in all browsers.

> >Now thanks to the webteam morons over at Halifax, it seems I have to
> >accept defeat, and leave Internet Explorer to it. :(

Completely untrue. There sounds like there's a small config difference in
Mozilla that needs sorting - check that although cookies are enabled, that no
Halifax domain is shown in the 'Block cookies from this site' list.

> Write (via post) to Halifax, someone pretty high up, but not too high that
> they wont read the letter. Dont send it to webmaster@ - they'll ignore it.

No,no,no don't do that. In this case, it is NOT the fault of Halifax. Going in
with all guns blazing won't get anywhere. The online helpdesk is actually
quite good (once you get through), they are patient, knowledgeable, willing
to take requests for changes in the site (which ARE actioned if workable) and
generally 'on-your-side'.

I can't say they are Linux-aware but they are not completely ignorant of other
browsers and they do acknowledge that just supporting IE is not acceptable.
They don't try and blame the OS either, they have shown good sense in
realising that the OS has little to do with how the browser interacts with
the site.

> Say that you are very disapointed, you may think about proscecuting them
> under that web accessability act, and you are seriously considering moving
> to a bank like HSBC (which works fine in mozilla and konqueror), and
> welcome their apology.

They've no reason to apologise (and they know that - I've told them several
times that I don't use "standard" browsers but only to let them know it isn't
a fault at my end when there have been temporary problems.)

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk
http://www.dclug.org.uk