Re: [LUG] Laptops

I felt I should probably add something to this whole Apple discussion, as (I think) the only modern Mac user on the list.

I have an eMac 700Mhz, with 640Mb of RAM and a CD-RW. It cost a little over £800.

Mac OS X is indeed based on BSD. "Jaguar integrates features from state-of-the-art FreeBSD 4.4 and GCC 3.1 into Darwin, the Open Source base of Mac OS X, to provide enhanced performance, compatibility and usability."

People buying a new laptop should consider the new Powerbook G4 12" - it's around £1400 or £1550 with a DVD-R, as this will give much better performance for the price.

As far as Linux skills, well thanks to various implementations of X11 and Debian package management in the shape of Fink.

There are a lot of awfully nice tools in Mac OS X, and I wouldn't swap it now for any other Unix.

Matt