Re: [LUG] Laptops

Yep Simon is right on the button with this one.

The judgement criteria between apple and pc, has to come back to processor achitecture. As simon states the Imac uses a RISC processor or Reduced Instruction Set. Intel provide CISC or Complex Instruction Set Chips. To take this back away makes it a simpler analogy. At the early dawn of Microprocessors was the 8080 which is the early evoultion of 8086 through 80386 and onto Pentium chips.
Apple began with the 6502 I believe, Later moving into Motorola 68000 and then on upwards. I am a little unsure whether Apple still use Motorola chips, but the RISC processor is still king to Apple.

Here's an example of performance.

in the early days a Zilog Z80A was running at 4.0MHz
Comparing this up against Motorola's 6809E which ran at about 0.8MHZ

When one looks at this today we say the Z80A must be 4 times better at performing than the 6809.
Not so each instruction the Z80 processed would take anywhere between 20 and 40 Clock cycles. 4.0MHZ = 4 Million cycles per second
The 6809 averaged between 1 and 4 Cycles per instruction, it averaged about 1/8 of the processor time to execute it's instructions.

So now we say Oh then the 6809 is twice as fast as the Z80, Again not so, the Z80 was a CISC chip, as a result it could achieve more from a single instruction than the 6809. Which left the 6809 processing more instructions to get the job done.

The reality of the situation was that there wasn't really much in it.

If all things where equal and Intel didn't have the bigger marketing budget, then the Apple would more than likely be King, At the end of the Day the GUI was an Idea Steve Jobs from Apple came up with, and BG took the idea to the Market.

Bottom line my money would be on the Imac.

Ramble over
Rick