Re: [LUG] Clustering...

Mark McRitchie wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, David Johnson wrote:

Before I start asking silly questions about clustering with Linux, has
anyone ever done it?

Yep. I used Openmosix, which load balances processes across nodes based on
cpu speed/io/etc and is a rewrite of the Mosix codebase.

Is it cross platform or another x86 only project? I have a stack of old sparcs :-)

Is it a sensible thing to attempt without so much as a good reason?

Depends on the use. I gave it a blast for the hell of it and found a few
little irritating problems when I had it enabled (eg _lots_ of mailman
lock files).

Mostly it was just for fun for me. I would seriously consider going back
to openmosix when its a bit more mature.

Well, that's exactly the reason I want to do it!
I may stick it in a corner somewhere and devote it to Seti@xxxx if I get it working.

Never tried Beowulf though. Not got the time just now.

I was hoping to find an idiots guide to or at least something to point me in the right direction for Beowulf, but there seems to be VERY little documentation out there...

David.

-- A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.