Re: [LUG] Compromised :-(

Mark,

If you can keep a copy of the binary, it's quite often worth doing some forensics on it - check it out with file, ldd, et al and pass it through 'strings' to see if there's any info, logs etc. Failing that try telnet/nc to the port that it's listening on - usual caveats apply about disconnecting from outside world, etc.

Also, use 'find' to find any files mode 777 or any spurious SUID executables. There's also a piece of software called 'The Coroners Toolkit' by Wietse Venema and Dan Farmer (of SATAN fame).

http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/tct.html It may help in finding any other files that were modified pre/post attack.

If you like, you can send me a copy of the binary and logs and I'll see what I can come up with.

Jon.

--
Jon Still                               E-mail: jon@xxxxxxxxxxx
tertial.org                             Web:    http://www.tertial.org/