[LUG] I think I've broken my Linux and please excuse my stupidity.

Hi everyone, as the subject line says I think there's something wrong with my
system.  Before I discovered the propper comand for setting my clock I
mistakenly attempted to install a gcc library from a tarball having
misunderstood instructions from a web site.  I think I may have been folowing
the "server" instructions for the instillation of NTP instead of "user".
Conciquently commands like #find and #locate arent working and there is
apparently nothing in # /mnt/cdrom when there *is* in fact a cd in there.
       Does anyone know what I may have done?
Thanks in advance for the descemination of any knoweledge.
J-D