Re: [LUG] Tape Drives

Richard Brown wrote:

HP C1521G Sure Store Tape 5000

Did you try HP - silly question - but they do have a parts
number search hidden away somewhere - it does take some finding
- although if the part is no longer for sale information may be
spotty at best.

I think the SureStore 5000 is small and slow by modern disk
drive standard (4GB, 336Kbytes/s I saw quoted in a quick
Google.....).

Anybody got any recommendations.

For the smaller(!) system my IDE based OnStream works okay - but
you need a 2.4.8 or newer kernel to get it to behave reasonably
I found, but it backs up 30GB overnight, which is enough for
most people who aren't buying DLT or AIT.

I've heard mixed reviews of OnStream, I found the drivers clunky
till I upgraded the kernel, and I don't back up as often as I
should - mainly as I do it wirelessly, and I keep pulling my
wireless network apart (in a purely logical sense if you see
what I mean).

I bought it at Titan (curiously enough), smile at Shabir and
he'll give you a discount if it gets a sale.