Re: [LUG] Backup

Jon Still wrote:

Can anyone reccommend a good backup utlity for Linux that can backup to a
SCSI DDS-1 drive? (I think it's an HP drive).  Or should I just stick to mt
+ tar ?

DDS-1 ? 1? Eek that is old, yes probably HP, although that would
be in their customised firmware with every product days, so it
should say it is HP if you query what SCSI devices you have.

Why do you need "mt" by the way, or is it just to eject it
afterwards.

Perhaps it is an evil habit from HP fbackup, but I always use a
rewind device for backup's. So "mt" is only useful if you want
automated ejection (does DDS-1 do that?).

If you use anything else, or even if you use tar, consider
braving "dd" for a fast recovery (you have dd on the boot floppy
right ;-). The days of bad blocks hopefully being hidden from
modern disk drives, although if this is DDS-1 tape drive maybe
the disk isn't exactly new.

The good news is DDS-1 tapes are highly portable, and can be
read be all later DDS standards! The bad news is they aren't
very long.